Spring is just around the corner and so is fence buying season. If you’re one of the millions of homeowners who are seeking to provide their family the privacy and security they deserve you’re probably starting to think about purchasing a lifetime quality Vinyl Fence. In these tight economic times, you’ll want the most from your investment. So you need to make the right decisions. You need to thoroughly research such a large investment before you make it.
Most people don’t realize the simple fact, that just knowing the right questions to ask can save you thousand’s of dollars. The flip side to that coin is, not having the right information before you buy, can cause you plenty of headaches and heartaches. Take your time and research thoroughly before you buy. You need to do your due diligence to avoid a bad case of buyers remorse.
First and foremost, don’t believe everything you will hear. I know that you’ve been Google-ing “vinyl fence” hoping to get any information that will help you make that big decision. However, all you’ve been getting back are sales pitches from the countless numbers of vinyl fence companies trying to sell you their fence. They are not interested in making you an educated buyer they just want to make a sale.
You will hear many different things regarding the properties of vinyl. And believe me, you’ll hear many contradictory statements. Just bear in mind the suppliers and dealers you’ll be talking to, are all trying to sell you what they have to offer. Therefore their view of vinyl products is, in most cases, limited to what it is they are selling. You’ll run into quite a few opinions about vinyl. Just remember that is what they are, just opinions.
Let’s take a look at a few of the costly hazards that you need to investigate thoroughly. These are critical questions you need to find the answers to before you even start looking for a fence.
- Not all Vinyl is created Equal – Did you know that there are different quality grades available and that commercial grade vinyl fence is superior to residential grade? Did you know that both virgin vinyl and recycled vinyl are readily available and that a company may be ready to sell you the recycled version and you would never know? Does it even matter? Did you know that there are different amounts of the very important ingredients (UV inhibitors and impact modifiers) in the vinyl which protect the fence from the sun’s rays and allow it to stand up to the elements? The highest quality fence is readily available at the best prices if you know what to look for and especially if you know what questions to ask and what info to gather.
- Size really does Matter – Did you know that vinyl comes in varying sizes and thicknesses. One would think that the thickest is the strongest, or is it? The thickest vinyl is typically found in PVC pipe which can be in excess of ¼” thick. However, even thick PVC pipe (if exposed to the elements) will yellow and possibly turn brittle due to the fact that it hasn’t been blended with impact modifiers and UV Inhibitors. Thickness is extremely important BUT it is only one factor in the quality formula that is used to create commercial grade vinyl fence.
- Where to buy? Internet VS Home Improvement Chain Stores – Did you know that you can generally get a higher quality fence over the internet than from those big-name home improvement stores? Why is this, what are the differences and what does one look for? This is very important and can make the difference from having a fence that will last you a lifetime VS one that may only last 10 years. Even though the ad from the local home improvement store shows their prices are unbeatable. There are hidden costs that will surprise you! Buyer beware, this can be very misleading.
- What do you do before you do anything else? – Did you know that you may need a permit and that there may be code restrictions? I have seen these facts alone or not knowing them, cost people a lot of extra money and some real heartaches. Know how to make the proper decisions and how to get the proper information BEFORE making any buying decision.
- Which company do you choose for your specific fence project? – There are so many places to buy a vinyl fence; the Major Manufacturers, the local fence company, internet companies, the local home improvement store? How does one pick the RIGHT one? Which one will provide the best product at the best price, while offering a comprehensive service? This information is invaluable.
- Which questions do you ask to make the RIGHT decision? – Do you know the answer to this? Most people don’t. Not knowing what to ask and what information to gather opens the door for big MISTAKES. How can one get the best product, at the best price, with the very best service without knowing the proper questions to ask in the first place?
- Understanding the shipping and receiving process- This is the trickiest part of the whole process and where many potential problems can happen. One must know exactly what to expect and how to prepare. With a thorough understanding of the process and by knowing what to expect, most if not all problems will be alleviated and you can expect a good experience.
- Have you ordered everything to ensure a smooth installation? – This can save you a ton of money because if you don’t order everything you need for your unique project, you could possibly have to order more items. These additional items, along with the exorbitant costs to ship them, have wiped out many a well-planned budget. You need to know exactly what to discuss with your supplier to prevent any potential miscommunication which may lead to you not having EVERYTHING you will need.
As you can see, you need to thoroughly research a vinyl fence before you start calling the fence companies. Take your time and do your homework first. Seek out any and all information on the subject. Go to the library, search on the internet, there are consumer guides and references available to you such as the Better Business Bureau. Take advantage of them.
Vinyl Fencing can be costly and confusing but as I said earlier, dollar for dollar it is the best value on the market today. You have made a wise decision to purchase vinyl fencing. However, make sure that you get your money’s worth. You need to be an educated consumer before you can be a satisfied buyer.